Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Love Buttah bars

When making baked goods, first comes love.
Then add butter.
Success.
My husband declared after I made these, "When I say I want some cookies, I now mean these."

Blondies makes 36 (or 6, depending on the cutter)
adapted from Cook's Illustrated The New Best Recipe

1.5C unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
12 tbl (1.5 sticks) unsalted, butter, melted and cooled
1.5 packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
.5C semisweet chocolate chips
.5C white chocolate chips
1 C pecans, toasted and chopped coarse

Notes: I toasted and only used .5C pecan pieces. I'm not a fan of nuts in baked goods, but the butterscotchy-ness that pecans add seemed like a good idea, so I risked it and it paid off. Feel free to leave the nuts out, too. I also love this, as I don't have to hoist out and clean the standing mixer, and I didn't have to wait for butter to soften. (Or risk messing it up by spacing out when I try to soften it in the microwave) I also spread the batter into 3 small pans, and refrigerate or freeze two of them for later fresh from the oven treats.

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees, rack in middle position.
Spray 13x9 in pan with cooking spray (I skip this) Fold two 16 in pieces of foil lengthwise so one measures 13 in wide and the other measures 9 in wide. Place foil in pan perpedicular to one another (in a cross) to line the pan. This is so you can pull out the bars and cut them neatly. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl; set aside. (I sometimes mix my dry ingredients a couple days before I'm going to make these to save time, especially when doubling the recipe.)

3) Whisk melted butter and brown sugar in med. bowl until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Using rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in semisweet and white chips and nuts, if using, and turn batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with rubber spatula.

4) Bake until top is shiny and cracked and feels firm to the touch (this was hard to guage, so I determined it was done after it stopped being shaky in the middle)22-25 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. (or no rack and eat in about 10 minutes if you can't stand it) Remove bars from pan using the foil handles and transfer to cutting board. Cut into 1.5x2 in bars and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I will be making these very soon, but I'm pretty sure I'm always going to love them more when you make them!

    ReplyDelete